Homemade pasta, brown tomato coulis & turkey ‘puffs’
A delicious recipe for homemade pasta, tomato coulis, and fluffy turkey meatball “puffs”
By: Leo Leonard
Recipe type: Lunch / Dinner
You will Need
- For the Homemade Pasta:
- 10 oz hard wheat flour (semolina or Italian 00)
- 2-3 large eggs
- A dash of water
- A dash of salt
- For the Meatball Puffs:
- 1 lbs ground turkey
- 4 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- ½ tbsp tarragon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- pepper and salt
- For the Coulis:
- 5 brown tomatoes, blanched, skins removed.
- 1 can San Marzano tomatoes, Pureed
- ½ cup fresh basil
- ½ cup fresh mozzarella
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ large onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Pepper and salt
- Pour flour onto table and create a well in the middle, crack eggs and put eggs into the well. Add salt. Using your fingers, break yolks and gradually pull flour into the eggs by stirring with your fingers gently. Eventually mixture will be too stiff to stir, then start to incorporate flour more aggressively. If too dry add a bit of water. Knead until very firm. Wrap in cling film and place in fridge and let rest for 1 hour.
- Process in pasta machine according to manufacturer instructions.
- Once you are done with the homemade pasta, you can start on the turkey meatballs.
- To make the meatballs, preheat oven to 360 F. Incorporate ingredients and mix throughly. Shape into balls about 2″ in diameter. Place on greased baking tray. Bake for 30-35 minutes till tops are golden brown.
- To make the coulis add olive oil into pan, when hot add onion, cook until translucent. Add garlic, canned tomato, oregano. Cook for 15 mins on medium heat. Add fresh tomatoes, cook for 10 minutes, add the rest of the ingredients and reduce heat. Cook on low for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the homemade pasta in pot with salted water at rolling boil until al-dente. Drain, add to sauce. Add meatballs and mix with the pasta and sauce evenly. Add additional cheese and basil if desired. Serve!