Does that look delicious or what. Better than bacon.
These are absolutely can’t-stop-eating-these delicious. I mean it! Make more than enough if you’re sharing.
This recipe was inspired from my mothers cooking when I was a kid.
- 1 pack (about 2 lbs) bone in pork short rib cut into 2" pieces (get them at the asian supermarket, pre-cut unless you have a cleaver)
- 1 cup Lee Kum Kee brand 'brown braising sauce' ( or make your own- ¼ dark soy, ¼ cup light soy, ¼ cup dark sugar, ¼ cup warm water ½ tbsp chinese 5 spice powder)
- 1 large shallot, diced fine
- ½ cup xiao xing chinese rice wine (don't take a sip of this- for cooking only!!)
- ½ tsp Sriracha
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tbsp corn starch mixed in ¼ cup warm water
- ½ cup white vinegar
- Combine all the ingredients except the ribs, wine and corn starch into a bowl.
- Add corn starch to water as above, add to ribs in bowl, mix. add wine. mix. let sit for 30 minutes.
- Add rib and starch wine mix to sauce. Marinade in fridge. The longer you marinade this the better, max 4-6 hours.
- If you are in a hurry to cook the chinese braised pork short ribs- pressure cook at 15 PSI for 1 hour, or bake, covered, in a pre-heated oven set at 325 F for 2.0-2.5 hours, or until meat is soft and close to falling off the bone. Stir and flip meat pieces when done, then bake again at 425 F for 15-20 minutes, or until just tips of the meat is beginning to char. If sauce is not thick, scoop out and reduce until thick in saucepan on stovetop. You will likely have to do this if you pressure cook as the steam will have added some water.
- Serve immediately, with coconut rice (1 : 1 : 0.5 ratio of rice : water : coconut milk. Wash rice till water is clear, drain, add water and milk, bring to boil and cover with low flame for 20-30 minutes, or until all water is absorbed. Do not open lid to check before at least 20 minutes has passed.), and some stir fried chinese veggies (choi sum, bok choi). So SO SO good! Chinese braised pork short ribs marinade well overnight and make great leftovers for the next day.